Tuesday 20 November 2007

Starting a Momentum for Exercise

Recently, I discovered that my stamina had been dropping. I would fall asleep easily when I was in bus or train. I would feel like sleeping earlier than usual as well. I believe that a lack of exercise was a contributing factor to this happenning.

In the last few months I hardly had a chance to exercise. I tried to play tennis regularly on Saturday mornings but my schedule on Saturdays had changed quite a lot this year. There were different things that were happenning on Saturdays including district/sub-district activities, weddings, travelling, Tertiary Service and Indonesian Service. Somehow, it is quite seldom now for me to have a Saturday where I don't have to do something major (to me).

Havings said that, at the end of the day, I cannot use that as an excuse. It is up to me to make time to do things that are important.

I realised that the busier you are the more stamina you need to sustain you. As such exercise is not an option but a must.

Today, I picked up my shoes and went to a nearby gym. I ran on a treadmill for around 20 mins plus. The gym only allowed people to run 20 mins each time due to the limited number of treadmills. I ran for around 2.5km in 20 mins. I am not sure if that is an average or below than average performance. But that's not very important. The most important thing is that I did it.

I did sense the difference even only after one run. I felt stronger physically, meaning fitter in my stamina. I felt that I could think and focus more clearly as well. I hope that I can really sustain this momentum for exercise.

As we are a tripartite being (spirit, soul & body) each part of our being interrelates with one another. If one part is down the other two parts will be affected as well. As such it is important for us to care for each part of our being so that we can remain a fully productive individual.

May God help me in this endeavour of taking care of my body!

2 comments:

Jeff Chong said...

I will join your gang bro! I need to exercise too :)

mikeraditya said...

Ps Jeff, I think you are way ahead than me. I am joining your gang instead. :)