Thursday 24 March 2011

My Reflection on Romans

I have always been fascinated by the book of Romans. Thus it was with great eagerness that I signed up for the course. As the end of the course is just two days away I know that I have gained some valuable insights from the various modes of learning the class has presented. At the same time I wish I had more time to review the materials and to study them more carefully.

Nevertheless, there are at least five insights I have gleaned through my journey of doing the course.

Firstly, it is important for Christians to understand the importance of spiritual Israel in the sight of God.

Many Christians are passionate about blessing the physical Israel believing that Israel is God’s chosen people and that by blessing Israel they will in turn be blessed claiming God’s promise to Abraham. Interestingly, sometimes not many Christians are as passionate in blessing the church which is the spiritual Israel. They attend church to consume. When they don’t like certain things in a particular church they will happily criticise and then leave to another church. It is important that Christians understand the importance of church in the sight of God. God’s promise to Abraham is applicable to the church today as Christians are Abraham’s spiritual descendants. Those who bless the church will be blessed while those who choose to persecute the church will receive judgment.

This understanding is not a new understanding for me. But this is a good reminder for me as I continue to serve God in a full time capacity. God has given me many opportunities to invest my time, talents and resources to build His church. I should count this as privilege knowing how important the church is in God’s sight.

Secondly, predestination is not about salvation but spiritual maturity.

The fact that predestination is not about salvation highlights that God is both a loving and just God. This is the fact that many Christians would enjoy debating about. However, I personally believe that it is important that we meditate on the fact that predestination is about spiritual maturity. God has predestined me to grow in spiritual maturity. This highlights how important spiritual maturity is in the eyes of God. This understanding should motivate me to take my character growth more seriously. This understanding should cause me to be mindful if I am actually growing to be more and more like Christ.

Thirdly, we need to take the ministry of hospitality seriously.

I was born and grew in Indonesia where hospitality is an important part of the culture. Accordingly, it wasn’t hard for me to practice hospitality. However, as I am getting busier living life in a busy urban city there are times that I choose not to practice hospitality even though it may be within my means to do so.

The discussion about hospitality through the class has encouraged me to be a more hospitable person. Even though people would generally consider me to be a hospitable person I know that I can do better. I am also praying that God will help me encourage and inspire individuals under my care to take the ministry of hospitality more seriously.

Fourthly, submission to authorities is a big thing in the eyes of God.

This is not a new lesson for me. I was taught as a young believer that submission to God-given authorities is biblical. I was convicted that it was God who appoints leaders and it is God who will remove them if they are evil. I was so encouraged by the life of David who respected Saul even though he was evil. David understood that Saul was still God’s anointed until God decided to remove him.

This was my conviction as a young believer. This was my conviction as a growing believer. The question is whether this is still my conviction as a 16-year-old believer. As a 16-year-old believer who has been very active in church life for many years I have seen many imperfections in church life. But if I still believe in the authority of the Word over my life I would need to maintain my conviction about submitting myself to the authorities that God has placed over me. This pointer has been a wonderful reminder for me.

Fifthly, God wants us to practice gracious living by accepting those who are weaker and different to us.

Through the group presentation project I gleaned some important insights about living graciously. This is indeed easier said than done. As a group we came out with various realistic scenarios on gracious living. As I look back at those scenarios it is clear that living graciously requires a real commitment in putting the welfare of others above our own welfare. I believe that a gracious Christian community is a powerful witness to our world today which is filled with strife and conflicts. I want to do my part to build that kind of community. And I know that I will need love beyond my own for it to happen.

I want to conclude my blog reflection with an insight I gleaned about Paul, the human author of Romans, as I read a commentary on the book of Romans written by F. F. Bruce. I read about how Paul for over twenty years (when the book of Romans was written) had been faithful to the calling that God had placed upon his life to preach the Gospel to the Gentiles. The Romans text tells us that it was Paul’s ambition to preach the Gospel in places where Christ wasn’t known. Am I still faithful to the calling that God has placed upon my life? Is it still my sincere desire to share the Gospel in the lives of people around me where Christ wasn’t known? These are two questions that I want to be able to answer positively today and till the rest of my life, so help me God!

11 comments:

jasonlim said...

I attest to your point on consumers of Christianity (or should I say that what they are really practicing is churchianity), it is a sad but true fact. As to the point on Israel, let's just say I believe that God will not leave the nation that He first chose all alone. It's difficult to reconcile also with the fact that Christ will reenter this world through Israel and destroy the enemies invading that state..Unless of course we can prove from Scripture that there is another agenda of Christ in doing so.

MERVIN CHIA said...

Yes! While I agree that predestination has very much to do with our Christian maturity. I think it is needful to also consider what if we take our Chistian life loosely? can we loose our salvation, since taking our Salvation light would just be the opposite end of maturity. Can we be a mediocre Christian? or does that mean that (I) have not been predestined to have been saved and thus mature?

yeu@nn said...

Thanks so much, Michael for sharing this! :)

OLIVIAKHOH.......... said...

Those who bless the church will be blessed while those who choose to persecute the church will receive judgment.

Yes Michael there's so many who didnt see the seriousness of this and how sad it is to see some abusing the very people and place they worship and share their lives with

The Great Conqueror said...

I had been taught the time clock was on Israel and we should bless Israel, etc, now I know the truth on spiritual Israel....

It never crossed my mind when God predestined me, my ultimate destination is spiritual maturity though I know at the end of the day I know God is interested in our character so this click together .....

As for hospitality, I tried doing it but had a very difficult time but I am still open to providing hospitality when the need arises ....

The Great Conqueror said...

I commented but it got erased :(

Joanna said...

Your sharing and responses are very encouraging. May God help us to live up to His expectation. At times we fail, I believe His grace is sufficient for us to move forward again. Amen. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Haha.. I think the predestination part is a real jaw-dropper for most of us! To think after all this while most have been "arguing" about the wrong issue... :)

Calvin Ong said...

As we progress in our christian walk, our passion in sharing the gospel with pre-believers may not be as fervent as before. However we need to learn from Paul to be intentional in sharing our faith in season or out of season. Lets make it our desire to ask God to reignite the fire again.

sooling said...

Responding to the 4th insight, submission to authorities is a big thing in God's eyes, I have this to share. I used to work for a local subcontractor company. The CEO is a reasonable person but his wife is so diabolical that she made 'the morning star' looks like Mother Theresa. Any dishonest things, you name it, she had done it all. Still, I acknowledge and obeyed that precept although I had always prayed to get out of that place... and when I finally did, it was not a pleasant departure. Somehow God pave a way and managed to secure a much better job. In retrospect, I believe it is because I abide by His Words and did not rebel...

Anonymous said...

I like it very much!