Monday 13 July 2009

Persist

Two days ago I was browsing my notebook to look for a specific document. As I was doing that I stumbled upon a poem that I wrote in 2004.

Today I sent out the poem to a group of precious people. The poem is rather amateurish thus I was a little embarrased to share it with others. But I pray that its message will be able to encourage some hearts.

Here is the poem:

Persist

It was Monday morning
And I wondered why the going gets tough
When doing the right things was all I wanted to do
I couldn’t help but feel discouraged
I couldn’t help but feel like giving up

But before I said “I do” to giving up I paused and pondered
Then I saw

I saw the sun faithfully shine its light
Over the righteous and the evil it never failed to rise and set
It dawned on me
The sun persisted because it was its DUTY to do so

I saw a colony of ants working hard carrying bread crumbs
They were storing provision for winter which was to come
It dawned on me
The ants persisted because they had the FUTURE in mind

I saw a runner competing in a world marathon event
His leg was crammed and his throat was dry
Still he kept running
It dawned on me
The runner persisted for the HONOUR of his country

I saw Jesus, the Son of God, walking towards Golgotha
His body was soaked in blood and His flesh was torn out
He was weary due to pain, hunger, thirst and no rest
Still He walked, walked and walked

I saw Jesus being nailed to the cross
The physical pain was excruciating
Insults and mockeries inflicted Him with emotional pain
Humanity’s sins placed on Him inflicted spiritual pain
That He cried “My God My God why have You forsaken me”
Still He remained and remained on that cross

It dawned on me
Jesus chose to keep walking
Jesus chose to remain on the cross
Jesus chose because of LOVE

I am sure glad that I paused and pondered
Now I know that I can choose to persist and not give up
I can persist because it is my DUTY to do so
I can persist because God promises a good FUTURE for me
I can persist because it is for the HONOUR of my God and His Kingdom
I can persist because of my LOVE for Him and His people

1 comment:

Cien An said...

beautiful poem!