Saturday 26 May 2007

A Happy Day

Last Sunday was a happy day for me for two good reasons.

Firstly, there was a historical moment in the world of tennis. Roger Federer defeated Rafael Nadal on Hamburg ATP Masters final on CLAY.



In order to help those who do not follow tennis let me give you a crash course of this wonderful game.

Tennis tournaments are played on three surfaces, clay, grass and cement (hard court). Roger Federer is the reigning no 1 player in the world. Rafael Nadal is the no 2. Federer is the king of grass while Nadal is the king of clay. Nadal had not been beaten on clay for 81 matches until last Sunday. Federer had never beaten Nadal on clay until last Sunday.

Few people thought that Federer could do it as he had not been in a good form in the weeks prior to the tournament and the final. On the other hand, Nadal was in the form of his life. But this is what champions do, they bounce back from their difficulties, they overcome all odds.

I was watching the match on Sunday. Federer was losing in the first set. Honestly, I felt quite scared about it and decided to switched to other channels hoping that the situation would be different when I switched back. Some time later I switched back and Federer was still losing. I switched to other channels again. Some time later I switched back again and there I saw Federer turning the situation around. I then continued to watch. Federer eventually defeated Nadal for the first time (on clay) by a big margin.

I learned two lessons from Federer. One, you just have to keep trying. Two, your breakthrough can come in the midst of impossibilities.

That is the first reason why last Sunday was a happy day for me.

The second reason (but definitely not the lesser one) is that last Sunday five people from the AG4 & AWAM groups decided to get wet for Jesus. Seeing people going through water baptism always warms my heart. Especially, when they are people I know.




My congratulations to Handoko, Irene, Klien, Angela and Pei Yang. I praise God for all of you. I trust that as you have taken this step of obedience the blessings of God will come upon your lives in a greater measure.

I really thank God for last Sunday. It was indeed a happy day.


Note: I took Federer's photo from the ATP official website. I took the water baptism photos from Wong Kam Weng's official camera. I hope to be able to upload more water baptism photos soon. For those who have Irene, Pei Yang and Handoko's water baptism photos please do a good deed by sending them to me. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yes! It's fantastic to witness our fellow brothers and sisters being baptised. It's one of the first visible steps towards lifelong discipleship and commitment to our wonderful Lord Jesus.

Oops! I hope the people in the photos don't mind over the publication of their photos ; )

Never heard of the Federer guy. But now I know. Thanks for the education (Hee! Hee!).

mikeraditya said...

oops, do you think they mind? :)

Also, did you post a comment and delete it as there is a comment deleted by its author 5 minutes before your comment. :)