Tuesday 15 May 2007

The Ten Good Men

Eleven of us (from AG4 & AWAM) went to Thai Camp around 2-3 weeks ago. This is a stark contrast to only one of us (I, me & myself) going for LC in Thailand in Nov 06. This is why I call the additional people as the ten good men (including women).

Majority of us chose to arrive in Thailand one day earlier. The Thai Camp was held at Khon Khean (Northern part of Thailand) but we needed to take bus from Bangkok (a 8-hour journey using a five-star coach).

In Bangkok, we spent time patronising their shopping centres and food places. Some of us chose to pamper ourselves by going for a massage as well. This was one occassion where we could be really thankful for the mighty Singapore dollars.

We had a good time together in Bangkok, also with those who were outside of AG4 & AWAM. There were however three memorable incidents for me.

The first incident was our encounter with a 'sifu'. Some of us took a very long walk from one venue to another (thanks to Kam Weng's assurance that it was near - it's okay we still loved him). As we took that long walk we met this 'sifu'. He impressed us with his skill in peeling and cutting fruits. He peeled off a mango in probably only 20 seconds. He then dismantled the entire mango in probably only 10 seconds. What a display of mastery of a skill. By the way not all fruit sellers in Thailand are a 'sifu'. The rest we met subsequently were much slower than him. Indeed, there is a big difference between knowing and mastering a skill.

"The Sifu"

The second incident was where we met up with Yolanda's brother and sister-in-law for lunch. Yolanda's brother married a Thai and have been living in Bangkok for some time now. Yolanda does look like her brother. Lean Choo and I have known Yolanda for years. Knowing her life story (a powerful testimony) we know that God has brought her a long way for this happy incident to occur.

Yolanda with her brother and sister-in-law

The third incident was pretty embarrasing but hillarious. We went to this place called "The Fashion Mall". We were told by a shopping expert from Singapore that things in this place were very cheap. We went. There Kam Weng was shopping for some new pants. As there wasn't a changing room in one particular store I had to help my dear sheep to create a temporary changing room using a piece of "sarong". As a shepherd is to be willing to die for his sheep this was a good test of that willingness. :)

The makeshift changing room

We had a good time together. And the ten good men are: Lean Choo, Eugene Chong, Jacqueline, Robert, June, Yolanda, Kam Weng, Stephanie Peh, Simon and Priscilla Lim.

This time next year I hope to be able to write a blog on "The Ninety Nine Good Men". Any takers?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My dear shepherd! I've already forgotten the incident; didn't even mention it to anyone. Now, the whole world will know...so embarrassing!!! Where shall I hide my face??? But still, this is not the most embarrassing moment of my life. The sarong thing was actually very funny. Remembered how I couldn't stop laughing out of embarrassment. More reasons to go Thai Camp? Any takers?!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike & Lean Choo! It's nice to know that you have a wonderful time both in Bangkok & Khon Khean. Hope to see you and "the ninety nine good men" next year! --Cheer--
And Kam Weng, congratulations! you become well known (>_<)

mikeraditya said...

My dear sheep! Let's sacrifice for Jesus together. Perhaps some people will go to Thai Camp next year because of this. That would be our reward, he he

mikeraditya said...

Hi Ning. Great to hear from you! Trust that all is well with you. The story that I posted was only half of the story. The other half of the story is coming up tomorrow or on Friday. Your photo will be in it. :) Thank you once again for the great hospitality shown to us in Thailand. Thank you for being our friend too. Btw do you have a blog?

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for your kindness Mike, but before posting the photo, pleaseeeeeee make sure that I'm good looking la....hahaha. I have a blog but I don't publish it. I'll do it soon :)

mikeraditya said...

Ning, your words brought conviction to my heart, he he. I will try my best to find a great photo for you. We look forward to reading your blog. :)

Jeff Chong said...

Poor Mike... had to suffer for Kam Weng!

mikeraditya said...

Ps Jeff, I survived. You have taught me well. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Ning: Errr...being famous is good, but not for indecent exposure. I should think Thailand has a law against that (hee! hee!).

Ps Jeff: Sigh! I wonder who sacrificed more? The shepherd or the sheep! Next time, you hold the sarong for Mike yeah! Perhaps, the "show" will entice more people to join the Thai Celebration Camp (^_^)